Saturday, February 20, 2010

Week 5 Day 6

Finally getting around to this today.  Sat and thought about it for most of the daylight hours, couldn't focus, so decided to put it off until now.

How many of you have ever felt defeated, depressed or just down in the dumps.  You can't put your finger on what is causing it and can't for the life of you figure out what to do about it.  Heaven forbid you mention it to someone else, their response, "suck it up", "join the crowd", "get over yourself".

These are not helpful answers.  A lot of times we just need someone to listen, to hear and to feel with us what we are going through.  I, myself, lately have felt all of this and more.  My job search is going nowhere, winter is taking too long and I don't have enough to do during the day to keep my mind busy.

It's very hard to find a job when you can't even get an interview and the job pickings are very slim.  When you reach a certain age it becomes almost impossible.  Age discrimination is against the law, so what I usually hear is "we are looking at other candidates more qualified for the position".  BS.  Heaven forbid you want to change what you do for a living.  Most of the time you don't get the chance to explain anything to the powers that be.  In this economy, staying in your chosen line of work is either a miracle or just dumb luck.

If my former boss hadn't been so greedy and wanted to become a big time entrepenuer I would still have a job and wouldn't be in this position.  Not everybody is cut out to own their own business.  Some of them think they are, but if they can't even work in the business that they own, how can they make any money off of it?

So yes, I'm becoming very depressed and cynical about finding a job, and I wish that everyone would just stop telling me that the right job will come along.  Instead, just agree with me that right now my life sucks, don't try to be a cheerleader for me, I am way too old to fall for that.  If you really want to help, find some leads for me that I can follow up on.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry Mom. If it makes you feel any better, I'm depressed that I am going back to work. The grass is always greener. It's ok to be sad and frustrated. Your feelings are yours and yours alone. Don't let anyone tell you they aren't.

    ReplyDelete