Friday, May 28, 2010

Here we go

Don't know for sure where we're going, but we're going to get there.  Friday morning, last day of the work week, weekend here soon,  what are your plans?  Going to the lake?  Going to be outside doing lawn work?
Going visiting someone?  Doesn't really matter as long as you are going.

In a much better place mentally this morning.  Got some sleep, not continuous, but I think enough.  Sleep is such a wonderful thing that so many of us take for granted.  We go to bed at night because we are tired, either mentally or physically.  We lay down, get comfortable and wham, nothing.  Either our minds won't shut down or our body won't cooperate.  Bummer.  So we do the best that we can.  With luck or with help eventaually the eyes close and we lose touch with the day to day activities that keep us going.  Hopefully it will be for 7 or 8 hours, but now always.  In my case I usually get 2-3 hours at a time and then awake for a while.  Which would explain the crankiness and being unmotivated to do anything.

My house is such a mess.  Nothing that a good hour or two wouldn't do.  I don't have any laundry to do, thank goodness, just dishes and general picking up.  Oh yeah, and the litter boxes, yuk.  Arlen has been absolutely no help at all.  Not sure why, but after 28 years I keep expecting him to start helping out around here.  Blasted mothers that do everything for their boys.  They really aren't thinking clearly about what the future wives have to say to all that.

I mean, seriously, when they reach the age where they are asking where their clean clothes are, show them how to use the washer and dryer.  When they are asking what there is to eat, show them the fridge and stove.  When they complain or even mention the state of the living room, show them the vacuum cleaner and dust rag.  Get them ready for life, unless you want them to remain little boys when they reach the age of 50 and you are still doing everything for them, hopefully you are still around to do it.

So many people are ill prepared to face life on their own or with their own family.  It also makes them think that everyone owes them something.  Got news for you.  I don't owe anybody anything.  I only owe myself to have the best that I can get, whether it is a clean house, clean car or a better job.  If someone thinks that is a selfish idea, too bad.  The one thing that I will give freely is the support and love that my family needs, whether they want it or not.  I can be stubborn, I can also be a pushover.  Sometimes it is just more fun to be a pushover, not neccasarily easier, just more fun.

I've had numerous people make comments on how they couldn't go through what I have in the last 7 years.  You don't know this until it all happens to you.  In the long run it more than likely won't and you should count you blessings every day that the day goes by without any major problems.  It is so easy to take it all for granted when everything is working the way it is supposed to and oh so easy to leave when things take a turn for the worse.  You find out a lot about your character when faced with difficult decisions and life choices.  After all, where exactly would I go?  I never once entertained a serious thought of leaving,  dreamt about a little vacation from it all once in a while.

I have also found out in the past 6-8 months that I am not looking forward to retirement.  This whole 24/7 thing is highly over rated.  There is only so much to talk about, to do or to go.  So I think that once I am back to work I will just plan on staying there and working until I drop dead there.  By then I should have lost the ability to hear complaints and the ability to hold my bladder, but who cares, when you get really old, people expect you to stink a little!

Have a great weekend, long one on top of that.  I will be talking to you again on Tuesday next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment