Tuesday, June 1, 2010

The party's over

The long weekend is over, for most of you who had plans, that is also over.  All in all it was a fairly decent enough weekend.

Arlen's dad isn't doing so great.  Looks like he won't be coming home at all.  He could have been home for over a week if Duane would have gotten his lazy ass in gear.  Nothing can be done about it now.  They have taken Allen off of everything except the pain meds.  Trying to keep him as comfortable as possible.  I just hope that Jan, Gary, Arlen and especially Duane realize how lucky they have been.  They have had extra time to talk and be with their father.  Not everyone is that fortunate.  Some of us find out with a phone call that everything is already over.  Not chance to talk anymore, not a chance to say goodbye and no chance of making an effort to heal certain parts of the relationship.  I wish I could have been given those chances.

I am very disappointed in Arlen's mom.  They rushed out there yesterday and instead of staying she decided that she had better go home with Duane to make sure that he was all right.  WHAT!  If it were you, would you not have stayed.  Cripes they've been married for 61 years.  It's not like they are within driving distance.  Sioux Falls is over 2 hours aways from where they live.  If Duane is that fragile (?) maybe he should be committed somewhere and get the help he needs.  He evidently is not getting it at home.

On a happier note.  Saturday I was up at Miranda's for Lily's birthday party.  That girl is quite a character.    Really had no idea that everyone was there for her, but was so excited to know that it was her party and her birthday cake, Elmo of course.  When I got ready to leave she decided that she would bring her beach ball and go with.  I think she thought I was just going outside and she wanted to go out and play, but hey, I'll take it anytime I can.

Brandon's birthday is coming up on the 14th.  His party is the 12th.  When I asked him what he wanted he told me "Prince of Persia" stuff.  Guess what, I have no idea what he'll be getting.  He's going to be 9, so he is at that age, too old for some toys, too young for others.  What is a grandma to do?  I'll get it figured out, eventually.  After all, I have 2 weeks.

Since I finally got this done, I can now concentrate on other things.  I have a pork roast going real slow.  Don't know if I want roast, potatoes and gravy or pulled bbq pork for sandwiches with fried potatoes and beans.  Both sound good.  Wish me luck with the choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment