Friday, January 22, 2010

Day Seven

I have had my first cup of coffee, stretched out my back and now think I am maybe ready to start the day. Of course, whether I am ready or not the day has already started, so here we go.

Usually the first thing I do when I start up my computer is to check out my Facebook page, just to see what everyone was up to the night before. Lots of game playing going on there. Some games are very entertaining, some are mundane and some are just plain boring. I guess it all depends on your point of view.

I have a Solataire Suite installed. If you are ever depressed or just plain bored, do not play any type of solataire. This is one type of game that will never make you feel better. I personally think it was designed just to keep people's egos in check.

You lose more than you win, yet you just keep thinking, "I'll beat it the next time". What happens, you play again and probably lose, again. It is the only game designed to make you play against yourself. And let's face it, if you can't beat you, who can you beat.

After all, you know how you think, what you are planning on doing next and when you are going to do it. Why shouldn't you win? It is just cards, stupid cards.

So many people now only play games on consoles, which keeps them in front of the tv even more. I remember growing up, there were no games that could be played on tv, yep, I'm that old. We did however have Monopoly, Scrabble, Yahtzee and multi-player card games.

If you think about it all of these games were not only designed to be played by lots of people, they were also educational without letting us know. Monopoly and Yahtzee helped hone our math skills, Scrabble our spelling and the card games our thinking and logic.

As children we were better focused and able to sit for long periods of time. You never heard the terms ADD or AHDD. We had chores to do, yards to run around in, and friends to take up the slack. At the end of the day, we were tired, and ready to sleep. We didn't take medicine to help us get through the night, and then take some more to help us stay calm during the day. That was strictly for the adults. They did after all have to keep us occupied.

We learned to cook, clean, do laundry and everything else that would make us the adults that we are today. Some good, some not so good. Our parents have to be commended for at least trying to prepare us. They only bought things for us at certain times of the year, not because we were throwing tantrums and were embarassing them in public.

Think about this: If you threw away all of the game consoles, games and controllers that go along with it, and re-placed them with board games, would you be able to get to know your children better?

1 comment:

  1. Lily's a little small for board games yet, though she does absolutely LOVE it when you color with her.

    ReplyDelete